Thursday, February 27, 2014

Winter Surprise

A relatively quiet week.



Ella's had chorus practice after school each day this week in preparation for their big concert tonight.  See her front and center?

I went to a lecture last night at our local Jewish Community Center and saw Diane Ravitch speak.  She's an education historian who has worked for several White House Administrations and written several books about public education in our country.  So as not to stand on my soap box, if you're interested in the state of public education in this country as much as I am (and even if you're not), read this article by her to get an idea of what I heard last night.  Let's just say, I'm a fan.

A new coffee shop opened up on our corner serving our very favorite coffee, Blue Bottle.  Our pocketbooks are in trouble.

This can be seen on a door in the coffee shop.  Love.

And I had four black bananas sitting around just asking to be made into banana bread, but lo and behold, this is the first time I realized that I didn't bring my loaf pan to New York.  Muffins, it is. 


But since these were actually pretty healthy muffins (I added flax seed and walnuts, used whole wheat flour), I had to pretend to the kids like they were full of sugar, so I added the sprinkles on top.  Worked like a charm.  Holden asked if he could have one for dessert.

But the real news is...well, I'm not going to tell you yet because we haven't told the kids.  Tomorrow morning we're going to blow their minds.  Here's a hint.

 

Let's just say if winter has you down, head to the Happiest Place on Earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment