Friday, October 4, 2013

Feeling Far Away

I got halfway through a post about my mom being here for a visit and how much fun we were having.  Then Kevin and I decided to take advantage of the free babysitting and go out for a drink last night while my mom put the kids to bed.  While sitting at the bar I got a call saying that they were taking my dad to the emergency room in San Francisco for what appears to be symptoms of a stroke.

I quickly deployed my three sisters who live within a couple hours drive of him and then waited...

Usually I am the one who drives to the ER in the middle of the night.  That's why I was the one on his emergency contact list on his apartment lease.  That's why they called me.  But instead I'm 3,000 miles away, waiting for a call, feeling helpless.

I spoke with the ER doctor who said that he is currently having a stroke (how long do they take?) and that he has bleeding on the brain.  His left side is impaired.  

I have been able to speak with him and although his speech is very impaired and slurred, he seems mentally alert. 

I'll get a fun post up soon about mom's visit with lots of photos.



1 comment: