Monday, March 30, 2015

Highlights Reel

Oops, I did it again.  I forgot to post at the end of last week.  And because this is New York City and you know that we packed a lot into the last seven days, I will try to avoid an annoyingly long post and just give you the highlights reel.

Highlight #1: Holden getting his first pair of lace-up shoes and learning to tie his shoes (yes, I know he's almost eight years old but I've been purposely avoiding having to add ten more minutes onto our leave-the-house time).

 

Highlight #2: Going on a field trip with some homeschoolers to see Flamenco dancing (and guitar and singing).  It was another educational experience put on by Community Works.  They were not just performing but teaching the kids about the history of the dance and the Spanish culture.

 

Highlight #3: Our Friday night at The Met.  The kids and I arrived a couple hours early and found an artwork that Holden's homeschool curriculum had him study this week as part of his art history.  As I've mentioned before, we generally skip art history since we spend so much time in museums but this week's artwork is right over at The Met so we decided to see the real thing - The Great Wave Off Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai.  And then Kevin and I decided to join the kids this week during their mythology class.  We had a great time in the Oceanic Art galleries.









Highlight #4: Traveling all the way to the top of The Bronx to see our good friend Maeve perform in the play Annie and then enjoying a lovely dinner with her family.





Highlight #5: Spending the entire day on Sunday in Central Park.  We spent the morning volunteering for the Central Park Conservancy, helping to spread mulch.  It was such a beautiful day that we decided to spend the rest of our day inside the park, eating lunch at Sheep Meadow, visiting Betty and Veronica, the new Grizzly bears at the Central Park Zoo, and discovering new playgrounds and areas of the park we had yet to see.













While enjoying our ramen dinner that night, I pulled out my phone and discovered that we had walked a whopping EIGHT AND A HALF MILES that day!  Believe me when I tell you that we all slept like babies last night.


No comments:

Post a Comment