Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Goin' Back to Cali

Are you still there?  Do I still have an audience?? 

After taking the longest break from this blog yet, we're back in NYC and ready to catch you up.  I could write a dissertation-length blog post about the last two weeks but I don't think you want that.  You people want it in a nutshell with a few good pictures, I know.  I'll do my best.

After a couple days in New York City unpacking from Costa Rica, doing laundry, and repacking for California we flew to SFO for a too short visit to see family and friends.

The first weekend the kids had some good one-on-one time with their cousins Rowan and Piper and Auntie Maxine and Uncle Sean in Berkeley while I had a fun and relaxing Girls Weekend in Mendocino with my girlfriends Cristy, Sara and Ingrid.  This is our 5th annual weekend away, which is amazing considering I live in New York and Ingrid lives in Niger, Africa.

Orr Hot Springs

Lawrence Hall of Science

Adventure Playground

Sunday was Grandma Terrie's birthday so we headed right up to Twain Harte.  My best friend for 35 years, Alyssa, met us up there with her two kids Shauna and Grant, and my niece Robin and her daughters Starry, Autumn, and Heather all joined us for a big birthday dinner.


Mom's first "selfie"
We had such a fun few days with Alyssa and the kids - playing games, boating on Pinecrest Lake, and Mini Golf.  Alyssa is trying to dig up pictures of the two of us playing Mini Golf on the same course 25 years ago.








 

The kids even painted Grandma a much needed new sign for her driveway.

 

We sadly left Grandma's house and headed back to the Bay Area.  We got more time with old neighborhood friends, I enjoyed a coffee date with my Book Group buddies, and the kids got a lot more time with their other Grandma and Grandpa, Aunt and Uncle, and cousins.  Kevin even flew out from New York for a whirlwind 48 hours.

Erika's 7th birthday party


Sleeping outside at Grandma's house in Millbrae

Mini Book Group reunion

Francesca visits

Highlands crew

The Pollocks and the McGilpins

Frisbee golf with the family



Skaggs-Kennedy "Groupie"

The grandkids do a show

As always, we returned home with mixed feelings.  It's always sad to leave California knowing it will be a while before we see everyone again and wishing we had more time to see more friends and family.  But after being away from home and on the road for over a month, it sure feels good to sleep in our own beds and get back to a regular routine.


No comments:

Post a Comment