Thursday, November 14, 2013

First Snow

I have a renewed respect and appreciation for working moms.  I've always been in wonder of how they get it all done.  Or should I say, how two-working-parent families get it all done, since all the housework is not the responsibility of the woman.

Anyway, I've spent every day this week, the entire day, at school.  This week is our school's book fair which I am co-chairing for the first time.  People, we have no food in the house.  We have no clean clothes.  For the first time since we got married, my bed stayed unmade all day long.  I feel completely disorganized.  I sent the kids to school twice this week having completely forgotten to pack their lunches (they are able to purchase an unhealthy lunch at school).  I spent too much on take-out for dinner tonight.  I only showered once.

I know that if I were to go back to work that it would settle down eventually.  I would get into a new rhythm of laundry on the weekends, buying groceries for the entire week on the weekend.  Making lunches the night before.  Showering more often.  But I am more thankful than ever for our well oiled machine of a family right now.  And I'm pretty sure Kevin can't wait for this book fair to be over.

In other news, we got the season's first snow this week.

 

It didn't stick to the ground but man was it cold out.

We also got to have dinner with one of my favorite people on the planet, my friend Cesar.  He was in town for work this week and we were able to get a babysitter and treat him to one of those cool New York bars with no signage and secret codes to get in. 


But the real highlight of my week was today's parent-teacher conferences.  For the record (and that's exactly what this blog is meant to be), I really look forward to parent-teacher conferences.  I know this may not always be true, so when the kids read back on my blog posts someday they'll know that I did once really love those conferences.  I know we all think our kids are awesome, but it's so nice to get outside validation and feel like all those boundaries and rules and consequences might have just paid off. 

Or maybe it's all luck.

Either way, I couldn't be more proud of my little Skaggaroos.

No comments:

Post a Comment